Friday Funkfest. A recurring (almost weekly) flurry of quick hits, links, videos and thoughts. Clearly, the best way to waste time at work spend your lunch hour each and (almost) every Friday.
I’ve got nothing but love for John Williams. Love him to death. In fact, I consider his music iconic. A lot of emotions rise up whenever I hear John Williams scores. But that doesn’t mean I don’t have some time to drool over a Star Wars trailer scored by Hans Zimmer. That dude is legit. I have a lot of his stuff on my phone. Much love for this mashup. Makes me want to watch Star Wars again. And Inception. Fly.
- I’ve really been pleased with my EVO 4G cell phone. But the new R2D2 themed Droid from Verizon is very tempting. Not tempting enough to break a contract with Sprint and double my cell bill. But tempting in that I might try to pick a broken one up on Ebay in 3 years as a collectors item.
- The NBA released the 2010-11 schedule this week. The Blazers get 20 national TV games. That means the NBA and the networks think we’ll be pretty good. That makes me glad. It also makes me glad that the first Blazers trip to Overrated City Oklahoma City is on a Friday night, and the second trip is on a Sunday evening. I’m totally making the 3.5 hour roadie to one of those. Or both. But at least one.
- Know what’s gangsta? Sea Lions. Well, at least the ones that hang out with Snoop Dogg.
- Donald Miller would rather be hated, than be loved with conditions. He makes some good points.
- I was really down on the Royals this year. Like, I’ve only watched 2 games all year down. But they’ve finally jettisoned all of the players I didn’t care for, and I’m back on the bandwagon. There’s still plenty of room. They’re horrible. But at least I can now have faith in the plan. As always, Joe Posnanski can explain all of this much more eloquently than I can.
- Is this, or is this not, the greatest baseball catch ever? Probably is.
- Soccer season in England starts tomorrow. Get a primer on kits world wide, check out the visual Premier League makeup for the year, pull up a chair and enjoy. Great week 1 matches on tap.
Renew and Restore